Economics and Education in Sweden

By | May 22, 2021

Like Denmark, all full-time higher education is free in Sweden.

All students at the higher education institutions in Sweden must be members of a student organization (Student Union). It costs between 50 and 350 Swedish kroner and provides, among other things, the opportunity to get help finding a home and to get a discount on membership of various sports clubs.

As a student at a higher education, you can buy a discount card (student card) for 50 Swedish kroner, which gives you the opportunity to get a discount for, among other things, the Swedish railways, SAS and SWEBUS.

After the new bridge connection, it has become easier to live in Denmark and study in Sweden. Danish students can get a discount for train transport. The discount is only given to students in higher education who are eligible for SU.

You can get more information about transport and discounts at Øresunddirekt, DSB and at the SU board.


Nordplus is a co-operation and exchange program that provides support for study stays in the Nordic countries. You can receive a grant for a study stay of between 1 and 12 months. The subsidy is 180 euros per month.

Application for Nordplus takes place once a year, typically in January, and you must apply via the Danish Agency for Research and Education’s website. Here you can also get information about the application procedure and application deadline.

There are several collaboration and exchange programs that provide support for study stays. you can read more about these here: Euroguidance Sweden

Nordplus Junior

Nordplus Junior is a program that, among other things, is aimed at students in upper secondary schools and vocational schools. Through Nordplus Junior, you can apply for support for individual internships and training stays in a Nordic country.

Work in Sweden

With the opening of the Øresund Bridge in 2000, Danes in the Øresund region have gained easier access to employment in Sweden. In this connection, an Øresund office has been established at the Job Centers in Elsinore and Copenhagen, AF-Øresund. Here you can get information about Swedish conditions, including tax rules and rules on illness and maternity leave.

The normal working hours in Sweden are 40 hours a week with the right to at least 5 weeks holiday.

Job search

Danes are free to look for work in Sweden.

You can receive unemployment benefits for 3 months while you apply for a job in Sweden.

At the Swedish employment service (Arbetsförmedlingen) you can get information about job vacancies throughout the country. You can also search for jobs at careerjet, which mediates jobs in many different areas. In addition, the site has an overview of Swedish job portals.

If you are interested in working in Scania, you can find job opportunities here.

There are also different job newspapers: Each county (län) publishes a job newspaper, Platsjournalen, with an overview of available jobs in the local area.

There are two nationwide job newspapers within different industries: ‘New job technology, economics, data’, ‘New job teaching, culture’ and ‘New job care’ (care area), and are available at the Danish job centers.

You can get information about working in Sweden from the EURES Advisers in the Job Centers.


If you are between 18 and 26 years old, you have the opportunity to get a summer job in Sweden through Nordjobb. Nordjobb is a Nordic youth exchange program that offers summer jobs, leisure programs and housing in Finland, Norway, Sweden and Åland as well as in the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland.

When you apply for a job through Nordjobb, you cannot apply for a specific job. In your application for Nordjobb, you must write a little about yourself, e.g. education and work experience, as well as which industries you want to work in. Based on your application, you will then be offered a job. Typical jobs can be a nurse, agricultural assistant or gardener.

The exchanges take place in the period approx. May 15 to September 15, and the job lasts from 1 to 4 months. The salary is by agreement, and you have to pay for housing, travel and food yourself.
You can apply per. letter or via the Internet. The application deadline is around May 31 each year, but it is a good idea to apply as early in the year as possible. You can apply from 1 December the year before.

Here you can get more information about Nordjobb

Work-and residence permit

As a Danish citizen, you do not have to apply for a work and residence permit to work and study in Sweden.

Economics and Education in Sweden