According to Allpubliclibraries, Gypsum, Colorado is a small city located in Eagle County and is part of the Vail Valley. The city is situated at an elevation of 6,200 feet and has an area of about 9.3 square miles. It has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters with low humidity. The history of Gypsum dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded as a mining town. Its current population is around 7,500 people and it serves as the county seat for Eagle County.
Politically, Gypsum is a small town that leans toward the Republican Party. However, it also has some Democratic voters who are active in local elections. The economy of Gypsum revolves around tourism, agriculture and mining industries that provide jobs for many locals in the area.
Schools in Gypsum are managed by the Eagle County School District which operates three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school in the city limits as well as several charter schools throughout the county.
The landmarks in Gypsum include several historic sites such as the old mining buildings and structures from its early days as well as some modern amenities such as golf courses, recreation centers, parks and trails for outdoor recreation enthusiasts to enjoy year-round activities like skiing, snowboarding, biking and hiking. Additionally, there are several cultural attractions like museums which offer insight into local history and art galleries that showcase works by local artists.
Population: 3,654. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,964 (+35.9% change)
Males: 1,916 (52.4%), Females: 1,738 (47.6%)
Zip code: 81637
Median resident age: 30.3 years
Median household income: $59,671
Median house value: $234,500
Races in Gypsum:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.6%)
- Hispanic (31.3%)
- Other race (15.0%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.3%), English (10.7%), Irish (10.0%), United States (9.6%), French (4.6%), Norwegian (3.4%).
Elevation: 6320 feet
Land area: 3.7 square miles
Gypsum, Colorado is a small town located in Eagle County, approximately 10 miles from the ski resort of Vail. The population of Gypsum is approximately 6,500 people. The majority of the population is white, with a small percentage of Hispanic and African American residents. Gypsum has a high quality of life with a low crime rate and good schools. It is also home to a number of businesses ranging from restaurants to retail shops. The median household income in Gypsum is slightly above the national average at $68,000 per year. The town itself has many amenities such as parks, golf courses, and trails for hiking and biking. There are also several cultural attractions such as art galleries and museums that offer something for everyone to enjoy. Gypsum is known for its friendly atmosphere and welcoming attitude towards newcomers and visitors alike. It has an excellent education system that provides students with quality education throughout their school years. Additionally, there are numerous churches in the area that offer spiritual guidance for those looking for it. Overall, Gypsum offers its residents an excellent quality of life in an inviting community setting.
For population 25 years and over in Gypsum
- High school or higher: 81.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gypsum town
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 65.2%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 1.3%
- Divorced: 10.1%
16.3% Foreign born (15.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,875 (+105.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gypsum:
- VALLEY VIEW HOSPITAL ASSN (about 28 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO)
- ASPEN VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 32 miles; ASPEN, CO)
- VAIL VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 40 miles; VAIL, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gypsum:
- EAGLE COUNTY REGIONAL (about 2 miles; EAGLE, CO; Abbreviation: EGE)
- ASPEN-PITKIN CO/SARDY FIELD (about 30 miles; ASPEN, CO; Abbreviation: ASE)
- YAMPA VALLEY (about 60 miles; HAYDEN, CO; Abbreviation: HDN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gypsum:
- GLENWOOD SPRINGS MUNI (about 27 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Abbreviation: GWS)
- MC ELROY AIRFIELD (about 49 miles; KREMMLING, CO; Abbreviation: 20V)
- LAKE COUNTY (about 53 miles; LEADVILLE, CO; Abbreviation: LXV)
Amtrak station near Gypsum:
- 8 miles: EAGLE (432 GRAND ST.) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gypsum:
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 29 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,400)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 65 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT BOULDER (about 113 miles; BOULDER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 25,355)
- COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 117 miles; Fort Collins, CO; Full-time enrollment: 22,684)
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 119 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES (about 121 miles; GOLDEN, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,183)
- RED ROCKS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 125 miles; LAKEWOOD, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,835)
Public high school in Gypsum:
- EAGLE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 614; Location: 641 VALLEY ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gypsum:
- GYPSUM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 350; Location: 601 HIGHWAY 6; Grades: PK – 05)
- GYPSUM CREEK MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 283; Location: 401 GRUNDEL WAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- RED HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 265; Location: 100 GRUNDEL WAY; Grades: KG – 05)