New Zealand Higher Education

By | April 17, 2021

According to COUNTRYAAH, New Zealand is located in the southwestern part of the Pacific Ocean, approx. 1,600 km southeast of Australia. The country consists of two main islands: the North Island, where approx. Ā¾ of the country’s population live, and the South Island as well as a number of smaller islands. About 80% of the population is of European descent, approx. 10% are Maori, the country’s indigenous people. The last 10% are immigrants from Asia and other countries.

Higher education in New Zealand

You can get information about education in New Zealand at Education New Zealand.

Most higher education institutions in New Zealand have an international office serving foreign applicants and students.

The academic year runs from February to December. The academic years of the universities can run from March to November.


There are eight state-funded universities in New Zealand. All universities offer bachelor’s, master’s and PhD programs.

There are also technical universities that have both vocational education and higher education.

Teacher training takes place at universities and Private Training Establishments (PTE) in New Zealand.

You can find the recognized institutions in New Zealand at the New Zealand Qualifications Authority [http: //]

Degrees at university level

The following degrees can be obtained at the university level in New Zealand:

  • Bachelor’s degree, usually lasts 3 years (however, 4 years in health sciences and law, 5 years in architecture and dentistry, and 6 years in medicine). The basis for admission is 13 years of prior schooling.
  • Master’s degree, obtained after a further 1-3 years of study.
  • Doctoral degree (Ph.d.): 3-year course of study on the basis of a Master’s degree.

Application for higher education

You must apply directly to the university where you want admission. Often one has to pay an application fee.

Admission requirements

A Danish upper secondary school diploma gives the right to apply for admission to a higher education. It is the individual university that determines the specific admission requirements.

Language proficiency

To be admitted, you must be able to document your English language skills, often by passing a language test. As a rule, these are the IELTS test (the International English Language Testing System), which can be taken at the British Council in Denmark, and which must be passed with a minimum of 6.0-6.5, or the TOEFL test. TOEFL must be passed with a minimum of 500-550.

Application deadlines

You must contact the individual educational institutions directly for information on application deadlines. The application deadline can be 1 September.

Recognition of foreign educations in Denmark

If you have completed a publicly recognized education abroad, you can have it assessed by the Danish Agency for Research and Education.

Practical conditions

There are good opportunities to get on language stays in New Zealand. On the MyPlanet portal you can find an overview of language schools.

If you want to study in New Zealand, you can study further at Education New Zealand, Education Counts, New Zealand Educated or Study in New Zealand. If there are language requirements you must meet, you can read about the language test TOEFL here.

Working Holiday in New Zealand

Danish citizens between the ages of 18 and 30 who are going on holiday, study or internship in New Zealand can apply for a working Holiday visa. The visa gives the right to work for up to 3 months with the same employer. You can only get a Working Holiday visa once.

The Australian New Zealand Friendship Society of Denmark / MyPlanet administers the scheme in Denmark. On their website you can get more information on how to apply for a visa and download an application form.

The organization Alott also organizes Working Holidays in Canada.

If you are planning to move to New Zealand, you can find a lot of good information at the New Zealand Immigration Service and Citizenship in New Zealand where you can find information on application and requirements if you want to apply to become a citizen.


Most educational institutions in New Zealand help foreign students find housing. You will usually be able to choose between a dorm room on campus (campus), an apartment that is shared with two to three other students, or a so-called homestay, where you live with a New Zealand host family.

There are also other options for finding a place to stay or stay overnight:

  • Accommodation in New Zealand Here you can find all kinds of accommodation from camping, cabins, hostels, motels to inns and hotels.
  • Hostel New Zealand An overview of hostels.

Facts about New Zealand

Population: 4.4 millionĀ (the biggest city is Auckland with population of 418,021)

Languages: English and Maori.

Employment: Unemployment in 2012 was 6.9% (OECD).

Residence permit: For stays over 3 months, a visa is required.

New Zealand Higher Education