Saint Petersburg State Polytechnic University (Russia)

By | December 4, 2021

St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University. The full name – Federal State Institution of Higher Education for Professional Training, the informal name – “Polytech”, or “Leningraski Politexnizheski Institut” LPI as it is known in Cuba). It is a center of higher education located in the city ​​of Saint Petersburg within the group of national research universities in Russia.


The University has 112 buildings in which 20 main faculties, 6 complementary faculties and continuous training courses are distributed , it also has subsidiaries in the cities of Cheboksary, Sosnovy Bor, and the metallurgical city of Cherepovets. Its 23 shelters occupy a total area of ​​43,076 square meters. Guarantees and provides the preparation of engineers for production and industry, economists, managers in 101 undergraduate and master’s specialties in 34 science and engineering fields, doctors of science, and postgraduate courses in 90 different specialties.

The 1 of January of 2007 at the University full – time 18,050 people were trained a total of more than 28,000 people. The teaching staff includes more than 20 academics and corresponding members of the Academy of Sciences of the Russian Federation, more than 500 full professors and doctors of science.

On the basis of the faculties of this university, the following higher education centers were created: Saint Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance (StPSUEF), Saint Petersburg State Maritime Technical University (SPbSMTU) and the Military University of Technical Engineering (SPbVITU ).

With the name of the Polytechnic University was named a street near the center known as “Calle del Politécnico” (Politexnizheskaya Ulitza) and the metro station “Polytechnizheskaya”.


It was founded on February 19, 1899, in accordance with the request of the Prime Minister or Minister of Finance of the Russian Empire Sergei Yulievich Witte as “St. Petersburg Peter the Great Polytechnic Institute”, the most advanced engineering school in Russia. Sergei Y. Witte envisioned that the establishment of a first- class engineering school inspired by the French college model was an important step towards the industrialization of Russia.

The idea was proposed by the agricultural scientist and Vice Minister of Finance Vladimir Ivanovich Kovalevsky and the great chemist Dmitri Mendeleev who also participated in the organization of this institution, it is for this reason that they are often considered the true founders of the Polytechnic University of San Petersburg All three were later elected honorary members of the Institute and their portraits were installed in the Council Hall and remain there today. Prince Andrey Gagarin was appointed as the first Director of the Institute. Also Ivan Vsevolodovich Meshcherskiy who was a professor at the Saint Petersburg Polytechnic Institute. Unlike the École Polytechnique, the Polytechnic Institute was always considered a civil institution. In tsarist Russia it was subordinate to the Ministry of Finance and its students and teachers wore the uniform of that Ministry.


The building complex of the St. Petersburg Polytechnic Institute was built under the direction of the Special Construction Commission, created February 23, 1899. A remote area of Saint Petersburg, near the village of Sosnovka in rural areas known as Lesnoya, was chosen for construction.

The design and construction was carried out under the direction of the office of Architect Ernest Fransevich Virrikh. The project consisted of a complex of buildings that form an autonomous campus similar to those that existed in Cambridge and Oxford. The complex includes a main building, a chemistry pavilion, two bedrooms, and a mechanical corps. The concepts of the Berlin Technical University building were used in the design of the main project building. The central part of the general plan of the building is almost the same building as that of the University of Berlin.

The official act of laying the first stone of the buildings was made June 18, 1900. Construction lasted from 1900 to 1905. Construction of the main building was completed in 1902. The building was built in the neoclassical style, typical of St. Petersburg architecture from the late 19th century. The monumental white building, with an H-shaped configuration and a beautiful interior design, in which all the classrooms are located in the south-west of it and make the most of natural light.

On October 1, 1902, the institute welcomed its first students, classes began in the specialties of Economics, Shipbuilding, Electromechanics, and Steel Metallurgy, these specialties represented being at that time the most promising of Russian engineering. During the events of the 1905 Revolution, after the machine-gunning of a demonstration in the Winter Palace Square (Dvorzovaya Plozhad) on January 9, in which some students died and as a result of the reaction of other students, classes at the university were suspended and resumed in the fall of 1906. Among the polytechnic students who participated in these events were the future prominent member of the Bolshevik Party Mikhail Frunze and the future prominent Russian writer Eugeny Zamyatin. Among them were four deputies of the First Duma of Russia (Lower House of Deputies) from different faculties belonging to the polytechnic: Nikolai Gredeskul, NI Kareev, AS Lomshakov and LN Yasnopolsky. After the start of classes the institute grew rapidly. Already in In 1907, he opened his new chairs of engineering and construction, mechanics and chemistry. In December of that same year the first graduation thesis defenses were made.

In 1909, aeronautics courses were created for students of technical and official departments in the shipbuilding department, thus becoming Russia’s first aviation school. In 1911 the faculty of shipbuilding the first Russian top – level school opened auto mechanics. In 1914, in the classrooms of the Polytechnic Institute they studied more than 6,000 people. Continue here

With the outbreak of the First World War, many students and teachers went to the front. One of the Institute’s buildings located in the area known as Leznaya was expanded and converted into a hospital. In 1917, the Polytechnic Institute had only about 3,000 students. The institute organized and delivered training courses for pilots and mechanics, as well as radio telegraph operators for the navy. The Laboratories and Department of the center participated in the development of weapons for the army.

In 1918, the work of the institute was practically suspended. After the October Revolution, many teachers left Saint Petersburg and Russia. During the Civil War, the Institute was practically unfunded, it had no fuel. By 1919 the institute had about 500 students. However, life at the institute did not freeze. In March 1919, the Faculty of Mechanics and Physics was organized for the first time in world history to train engineers, physicists and researchers, which were unparalleled in the world. It was soon decided to establish the faculty of chemistry. In December 1919, due to the great mobilization of the students, the institute was almost deserted, although the scientific work continued.

The Institute began work again in April 1920 when it became part of the planning team for the GOELRO Plan (Leninist Plan for the Electrification of Russia) of the nascent Soviet state for the industrialization of the country. The Professor of the Institute, AV Wulf was the chairman of the working group on the electrification of the Northern Region of the Soviet Union. The Institute develops projects for the dam of the Volkhov Hydroelectric Station on the Volkhov River and the Dnieper Hydroelectric Station on the Dnieper River.

In the fall of 1920 due to extreme cold weather and lack of heating some lectures were often only attended by one or two students. In the midst of these difficult times, Nikolay Semyonov and Pyotr Leonodovich Kapitsa discovered a way to measure the magnetic field of an atomic nucleus. Later, the experimental device was improved upon by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach and became known as the Stern-Gerlach experiment. In another laboratory, another student of the Institute, Léon Theremin worked on his electronic musical instruments. His first demonstration of the theremin was held at the Polytechnic Institute in November 1920.

After the end of the Russian Civil War many students returned to the Institute. In 1921, the chair of Physics and Technology became an institute (Fisiko Teknizheski Institut, FTI).

In the spring of 1922 there were 2,800 students there. In the fall of 1922, the Institute received the new Agronomic Faculty on the basis of the closed Agricultural Institute in Tsarskoe Selo.

In 1923 he received his own building just in front of the building occupied by the Polytechnic Institute. Despite this separation, the students of the physical faculties were practicing in the laboratories of the Physical-Technical Institute (FTI), and most of its employees were professors at Polytech.

In 1926 the Council of People’s Commissars (Sovnarkom) restored the title of Engineer and allowed “children of working intellectuals” to enter tertiary schools (previously only workers and children of workers were allowed). The number of students at the Polytechnic Institute reached the 1914 level of 6000. In 1928 there were 8,000 students. In 1929 two new faculties were opened: Aircraft Construction and Hydraulics.

In 1930, the decision of the commission for the reform of secondary and higher education (Council of People’s Commissars known as Sovnarkom) decides to create on the basis of the Polytechnic, institutions of narrow profile that were transferred to the corresponding ministries. On the basis of the Leningrad Polytechnic Institute (LPI) were founded: the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering, the Institute of Industrial Production Engineers (today Nicolás Technical University of Military Engineering), the Institute of Shipbuilding (Koravlestroitelnii Institut), the Institute of aviation, the Electromechanical Institute (Leti), the Chemical Engineering Institute, the Metallurgical Institute, the Machinery Construction Institute, the Agroindustrial Institute, the Physics and Mechanics Institute, the Leningrad Institute of Finance and Economics and the Boiler and Turbine Institute of the Soviet Union. The Polytechnic formally ceased to exist on June 30, 1930. The educational process was violated because the laboratories and workshops belonged to different institutions, and those in turn belonged to different ministerial departments.

In the summer of 1933, the higher education commission was forced to address the economic conflicts between the different institutions in the sector, and in April 1934 they were unified into the Faculty of Law within the framework of the newly created Leningrad Industrial Institute (LII ). In early 1935 the “LII” was the largest technical university in the Soviet Union, with an enrollment of more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 940 Full Professors and teachers, 2,600 workers and employees.

In November 1940 the Institute regained its original name and was renamed the Kalinin Polytechnic Institute (Leningradskij Politekhnicheskij Institut imeni Kalinina, LPI) in honor of the late President of the Supreme Soviet Mikhail Ivanovich Kalinin.

From 1941 to 1991

During the Great Patriotic War, they headed over 3,500 Polytech students and staff. The teachers and students who remained in Leningrad, hungry by the conditions imposed by the war and the blockade of Leningrad, became involved in the construction of fortifications, the main construction of the center was transformed into a hospital, another building was converted into a school for tankers and in others, military recruitment commissions were in session.

On September 8, 1941, the Leningrad Blockade began. Faced with the difficult situation created, the workers of the SS Golushkevich Polytechnic, PP Kobeko, NM Reyman and AR Shulman began to study the hardness of the ice, demonstrating the feasibility of transporting vital materials over the ice. The researchers selected the safest route for transportation across the frozen Lake Ladoga. This route called the Camino de Vida was the only transport route to access the besieged city.

In February 1942, during the Nazi stalking of the city of Leningrad, some faculties and students were evacuated. First to the city of Pyatigorsk, and then to Tashkent, a city in Central Asia. In 1943 in Tashkent the scientific and educational work of the Institute began. In Leningrad there were 250 students and 90 teachers left in the institute. Polytechnic Institute was the only school in the besieged city who had the authority to assess thesis of Candidacies Dr. of Science (Ph.D.) and PhDs. Before the end of the city siege, 19 dissertations (mainly related to defense issues) were evaluated in their classrooms.

The restoration of the institute began immediately after the lifting of the siege of the city of Leningrad in 1944. Since October 1946, the Polytechnic Institute became subordinate to the Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR, this gave the institution the right to work on your own curricula and programs. The number of LPI students approached 3,000.

In 1948 they created the first student detachment (Studenzheskii Otriad) of the USSR with a membership of 340 people who attended the construction of the Alakusskoy hydroelectric plant. It should be noted that this practice spread throughout the USSR and it was common on holidays to see student work detachments working on the most important works in the Soviet Union. In later times, a large part of foreign students actively participated in the ranks of these detachments, including Cubans who were studying in the USSR.

Since 1950 much attention has been paid to training for construction sites throughout the Soviet Union. In the civil engineering faculty, the training of hydraulic construction engineers began, and in the metallurgical combinations the polytechnic organized night courses for workers to train turbine construction engineers.

In 1953, under the indications of Special Decision-1953 “Stalinskii Spetsnabora-1953”, the Polytechnic Institute was one of the educational centers that donated 224 graduates who joined the army to complete their training at the Academy. Military FE Dzerzhinsky, who was essential making contributions to the defense of the country and space exploration.

In 1960, the Polytechnic Institute created laboratories for energy systems, automation, remote control, metallurgy, turbine and compressor engineering. At the same time, the Institute introduced a system of “continuous production practices” in which first-year students who had no work experience, alternated study and work at the Karl Marx plant, the metallurgical combination, the “Svetlana” center, the factory “Red October”, in the main direction of construction of the city.

In 1961, in accordance with the new regulations on higher education, the elections for rectors and deans were returned.

Since 1960, an active construction of the new buildings of the institute has been developed. In 1962 a sports complex were built in the area known as Muzhestva square (Square of Valor), a high voltage building or corpus (TVN), two new academic buildings, the construction of clinics, dispensaries or profilactories, libraries and hostels in the avenue of the Invincibles (Prospekt Nepokorienni).

In 1962 the night faculty for workers (zaozhnoe fakultet) and the postgraduate faculty for graduate engineers were founded. In 1968 – Continuous Improvement Courses for managers and workers, a year later, in 1969, preparation courses for young workers and farmers. At the same time, the night faculty was divided into two: electrical and engineering.

In 1972, the branch of the Polytechnic Institute in Pskov (now Pskov State Polytechnic Institute) was opened. Later he organized subsidiaries in the cities of Orsk, Cheboksary, Sosnobom Bor.

The construction of new buildings was continued in the 70s – early 80s. Two hostels were built on Civil Avenue (Grazhdanskii Prospekt) and Inconquerable Avenue (Prospekt Nepokorienni), a new teaching building, building for the preparatory faculty and the building of the Institute of International Education Programs on Civil avenue.

The new Design and Construction offices were founded: OKB “Impulse” and Special Design Office for Technical Cybernetics (now – RTC).

Since 1982, the LPI began a comprehensive training plan for specialists in cooperation with large companies interested in the influx of young graduates from the Polytechnic, among them are: OKB “Impulso”, Central Institute of Academic Scientific Research AN Krilov, Association of Centers of “Leninist” Research and Production, Lenpoligrafmash Polygraphic Combined, “Sputnik” Industrial Production Union, K. Marx Electromechanical Plant and others, in 1987 the Engineering Center and the Interdisciplinary Institute for Advanced Studies (MIPK) were created in new fields of engineering and technology. In 1988 based on the Physics-technical faculty (Fiziko-Tekhnichesky), Zhores Ivanovich Alferov was appointed as director of the Ioffe Institute, who in 2000 was awarded a Nobel Prize .

In 1989, the Polytechnic Institute in its 11 faculties enrolled 2,100 students in the first year, and the total number of applications submitted for entrance examinations exceeded 5,000 applications. The highest number of applicants were accepted in the Faculty of Technical Cybernetics with 310 people, and the greatest competition was in the Faculty of Economics and Administration with 590 applications to opt for 120 places.

In September 1989, the Council of the Leningrad Polytechnic Institute (LPI) decided to change the name of the Polytechnic Institute to the State Technical University. The RSFSR Council of Ministers adopted the new name on April 3, 1990, but most people and especially its graduates continue to call it the “Leningrad Polytechnic Institute” or by its acronym in Russian “LPI”.


In 1994, by merging a number of structures related to the publishing and printing industry, the St. Petersburg Polytechnic University (then – the Technical University) was founded a polygraphic center. Two years later, the Academic Council decided to transform the Center into the publishing house of the Polytechnic University. For the first time in the history of the Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University, a publishing house was organized, with a strong printing base and working on the basis of state licenses for the edition and printing of its literature.

In December 2006, an agreement was signed with Microsoft Russia to open an innovation center in the Department of Cybernetic Engineering, this being the first Microsoft Corporation Innovation Center in northwestern Russia. [3]

In July 2007 – Rector Mikhail Fedorov told the news agency “Prime-TASS” that within the framework of the national project “Education”, on the basis of the institute, the Research Institute of new materials and technologies would be created. And that for its construction of the federal budget 520 million rubles would be allocated. [3]

Within the Top Ranking of Technical and Technological Centers in Russia, the University today remains among the top 4 universities in the country. [4]

University names

  • 1899-1910 – Polytechnic Institute of San. Petersburg
  • 1910-1914 – Polytechnic Institute of San. Petersburg of Peter the Great
  • 1914-1922 – Petrograd Polytechnic Institute of Peter the Great
  • 1922-1923 – First Petrograd Polytechnic Institute named Mikhail Kalinin
  • 1923-1924 – Petrograd Polytechnic Institute named Mikhail Kalinin
  • 1924-1930 – Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, name Mikhail Kalinin (LPI Kalinin.);
  • 1930-1934 – divided into a series of independent institutions, subordinate to the competent ministries, which finance and control the formation of their businesses. Includes: Leningrad Electromechanical Institute (LETI), Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute (LCI), and others.
  • 1934-1940 – Leningrad Industrial Institute (IIL).
  • 1940-1990 – Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, named Mikhail Kalinin (LPI Kalinin.).
  • 1990-1991 – Leningrad State University (LSTU).
  • 1991-2002 – Saint Petersburg State Technical University (SPGPU).
  • April 16, 2002 – Saint Petersburg State Polytechnic University


The University has 20 main faculties, 6 faculties and complementary training courses, evening courses, 3 branches and scientific complexes, profilactory, recreation and rest base. The University Campus is located in the northeast of the city, includes 15 educational buildings and 15 scientific and industrial training buildings, 13 hostel buildings, 10 apartment buildings, the Chamber or House of Scientists and sports complexes.

Basic Faculties The main Faculties of the university are divided into three groups:

  • Humanitarian and economic

Made of:

  • Faculty of Economics and Administration
  • Legal Faculty
  • Faculty of Humanities
  • Higher School of International Administration
  • Faculty of Foreign Languages
  • Technical

Made of:

  • Faculty of Civil Construction
  • Electro-Mechanical Faculty
  • Faculty of Materials Technology and Research
  • Faculty of Machinery Construction
  • Faculty of Technical Cybernetics
  • Faculty of Integrated Security
  • Faculty of Innovation
  • Central Faculty of Scientific and Experimental Research of the Institute of Robotics Design and Technical Cybernetics
  • Physical

Made of:

  • Faculty of Mechanics – Physics
  • Radio Faculty – Physics
  • Physical Faculty – Technical
  • Faculty of Medical Sciences and Bioengineering
  • Faculty of recycling and continuous training
  • Faculty of Recycling of Specialists (FPS).
  • Interdisciplinary Institute for Recycling of Specialists (MIPK).
  • Faculty of Professional Development of Teachers (FPKP).
  • Preparation of primary and secondary school teachers
  • Advanced preparation for the “Protection of State Secrets” program
  • Courses of professional improvement and preparation of direction in the “construction”

Part-time In the form of studies known as evening classes you can receive training in most of the available specialties of education and science. The night faculty is divided into two sections: Computer Science, Radio and Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering (electromechanical specialty, Radiophysics Faculty and the Faculty of Cybernetic Engineering). Economics, construction of machinery and civil engineering (specialty of electrical engineering of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Administration).


  • Cheboksary Institute of Economics and Management.
  • Cherepovets Institute of Management and Information Technologies (IMIT).
  • Nuclear Energy Institute in the city of Sosnovy Bor (IEN).

Rectors and Directors of the Center

  • Gagarin, Andrew Grigorovish. (01.1900 to 02.1907) – Director
  • Posnikov, Alexander Sergeivish (03.1907-09.1907) – Director
  • Meshchersky, Ivan Vsevolodovish (09.1907 to 09.1908) – Director
  • Posnikov, Alexander Sergeivish (09.1908 to 09.1911) – Director
  • Skobeltsyn, Vladimir Vladimirovish (09.1911-09.1917) -. director
  • Radtsig, Alexander Alekxandrovish (09.1917 to 12.1918) – Rector
  • Chatelien, Mikjail Andreivich (12.1918 to 05.1919) – Rector
  • Levinson-Lessing, Franz Juljevish (05.1919 to 11.1919) – Rector
  • Ruzskii, Dmitri Pavlovich (11.1919-08.1921) – Rector
  • Zalutsky, Leonid Vasilievish (08.1921 to 01.1922) – Rector
  • Vorobyov, Boris Ebdokimovish (01.1922 to 06.1925) – Rector
  • Boikov, Alexander Alexandrovish (06.1925 to 10.1928) – Rector
  • Kobozev, Peter Alexandrovich. (11.1928-08.1929) – Rector
  • Shumsky, Alexander Yakovlevich (08.1929 to 12.1929) – Rector
  • Davtyan, Jacob Hristoforovich (02.1930 to 06.1930) – Rector

In the period 1930-1934 – The Institute is divided into several industries

  • Schreiber, Georgy Yakovlevish (07.1934 to 07.1935) – Director
  • Tyurkin, Peter Andreivish. (07.1935 to 07.1936) – Director
  • Evdokimov, Vasily Grigorevish (08.1936 to 07.1937) – Director
  • Novikov, Kirill Vasilevish (09.1937 to 06.1938) – Director
  • Smirnov, Sergey Antonovish (06.1938 until 11.1940) – Director
  • Tyurkin, Peter Andreivish (11.1940-12.1941) – Director
  • Serdyukov, Sergey Andreevish. (03.1942-09.1944) – Director
  • Kalantarov Paul Lazarevic (09.1944 to 06.1946) – Director
  • Shmargunov, Konstantin Nikolayevish (06.1946-06.1951) – Director
  • Alabyshev Alexander Filosofovish (06.1951-03.1956) – Director
  • Smirnov Vasily Sergeyevish (03.1956 – 03/05/1973) – Rector
  • Seleznev, Konstantin Pavlovich (05/17/1973 – 05/23/1983) – Rector
  • Vasiliev, Yuri Sergeivish (05/23/1983 – 30/09/2003) – Rector, President (with the Rector’s rights).
  • Fedorov, Mikhail Petrovich (09/30/2003 – 05.2011) – Rector
  • Rudskoi Andrey (since 05.2011) – Rector

Presidents Vasiliev, Yuri Sergeivish (since 10.2003) – The Chairman and Chairman of the Board of Trustees

The Graduates

In total, the University has trained more than 150,000 engineers, of which we will mention some of the most prominent:

  • Awarded Nobel Prizes : Pyotr Kapitsa, Nikolay Semyonov, and Zhores Alferov
  • President of the Russian Academy of Sciences : Anatoly Alexandrov
  • Academics: Igor Kurchatov who directed the Soviet Union’s nuclear bomb program, Georgy Flyorov and Abram Ioffe
  • Nuclear Weapons Designers: Yulii Khariton and Nikolay Dukhov
  • Aircraft designers: Yulii Khariton and Oleg Antonov, Nikolai Polikarpov and Georgy Beriev
  • The designer of the most famous tank of WWII T-34 : Mikhail Koshkin
  • Chess Grandmasters : David Bronstein

Cuban students from the Polytechnic dancing in the street at a carnival on May 1, 1988 in the city of Pushkin.

Since the 1960s, the Polytechnic Institute was linked to the training of professionals who would guarantee the economic development of our country. The first students from Cuba arrived at this educational center in the mid-1960s. Dozens of Cuban students passed through its classrooms scattered throughout the different faculties throughout these years. The last Cuban students to graduate from the classrooms of this prestigious center did so in 1994.

Cuban students from the Polytechnic dancing in the street at a carnival on May 1, 1988 in the city of Pushkin next to the Russian people.

At the Leningrad Polytechnic, as those who studied at it say, engineers were trained, Masters in Technical Sciences in Engineering, Doctors in Technical Sciences in different specialties. These professionals today work in different parts of the world, work in our best university centers and scientific-technical entities in the country and give prestige to the education received at this important Russian University with their professional work.

Cuban students were always integrated into the work of the Polytechnic in all its spheres, it was common to see Cuban students forming part of the student work detachments that on their vacations worked in Siberia or other developing areas, also, forming part of the boxing squad of the Institute that participated in student competitions between institutions of higher education. The first baseball team that the Polytechnic had (the second team created at that time in the city of Leningrad) was created by Cuban students who not only played but also taught Russian students to play this sport.

Cuban students participated in the science days. When the national holidays of Russia or Cuba were celebrated, it was done with the broad participation of Russian and Cuban students and Russian teachers. A Cuban salsa musical group was created at the Institute that participated in Polytechnic activities.

Fundamental Library of the Polytechnic Institute fully automated. PCs replaced old information search files.

The Fundamental Library of the University began its work at the same time as the inauguration of the Institute in 1902. In 2004 the library’s book conservation fund was estimated at more than 2,700,000 units. The composition of the Library’s collection is defined by disciplines of study, but in addition to the traditional university collections of technical literature for education centers, it is made up of literature on natural sciences, exact sciences, and applied engineering sciences, the sectors of the humanities specialties: history, law, economics, finance, etc. The library also includes the collections donated to this from private collections belonging to the Institute’s scientists. At various times the library included the collection of books by Sergei Yulievich Witte, from professors of the Struve Institute, S. Gambarov AP Fan der Fleet, BE Nolde, KP and Boklevskogo and others. The first hundred books were donated VI Kovalevsky – statesman and implementers of the institute project.

The Fundamental Library of the Polytechnic University was one of the first libraries in Russia that in 1995, had a complete high-speed connection to the Internet and created its web server. It developed an electronic catalog and a comprehensive text database that is available to librarians, workstations, reading rooms, departments and services of the University, as well as Internet users. Staff, students, as well as graduates of the University have the opportunity to receive information from international databases and consult their literary background. Since this date, the entire library book collection has been digitized.

At the entrance of the library entrance where once there were files and card holders on both sides of its hallway to search for books, articles and materials, which took some time to carry out a search, today there are modern personal computers to do the searches. consultations and books can be obtained in digital format in a very short time.

The Polytechnic in the world ranking

The Polytechnic according to “Webometrics” of 2012, is in position 1317 among the university centers of the world.

Saint Petersburg State Polytechnic University (Russia)