According to best-medical-schools, Searchlight, Nevada is a small community located in the Mojave Desert of Southern Nevada. The city is located approximately 60 miles south of Las Vegas and sits at an elevation of 3,000 feet. The climate in Searchlight is classified as a desert climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit with an average high temperature of 93 degrees in the summer months and an average low temperature of 53 degrees in the winter months.
The history of Searchlight dates back to the late 19th century when miners discovered gold in the area. In 1902, Searchlight was officially established as a mining town and soon after grew to become an important trading hub for miners and ranchers who lived in the area. In 2005, Searchlight was designated as a National Historic District by the United States Congress due to its significant historical importance.
Politics in Searchlight are mostly based around issues related to mining, ranching, tourism, and economic development. State legislators have proposed several bills over the years that would provide tax incentives for businesses looking to invest in Searchlight or create jobs for local residents.
The economy of Searchlight is largely based on tourism due to its proximity to Las Vegas, which attracts millions of visitors each year from all over the world. Additionally, there are several small businesses located within the city limits that focus on providing goods and services that cater specifically to locals or tourists who visit from out-of-town.
Searchlight has two public schools: one elementary school and one middle school which are both part of Clark County School District’s Division I program. Additionally, there are several private schools located within close proximity to Searchlight that offer various educational programs for students ranging from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
As far as landmarks go, some notable attractions include Bootleg Canyon Park which offers spectacular views of Lake Mohave; Laughin’ Jack’s Saloon which was built during the gold rush era; and St Joseph’s Catholic Church which is listed on both state and national registers as a historic building due to its unique architecture dating back to 1908.
Males: 321 (55.7%), Females: 255 (44.3%)
Zip code: 89046
Median resident age: 54.6 years
Median household income: $24,407
Median house value: $137,500
Races in Searchlight:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.4%)
- Hispanic (3.6%)
- Other race (1.7%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (16.8%), Irish (14.8%), United States (12.2%), English (9.7%), French (7.8%), Dutch (4.0%).
Elevation: 3470 feet
Land area: 13.1 square miles
Searchlight, Nevada is a small town located in the Mojave Desert. It has a population of around 590 people as of 2020. The majority of the population is white, with just over half being Hispanic or Latino. The median age is 45 years old and there are more males than females living in the town. The median household income is approximately $27,000 and the poverty rate is over 20%.
Over 60% of residents have some college or higher educational qualifications. There are two small schools in Searchlight, one elementary school and one middle school. Both schools are part of the Clark County School District, which provides quality education for students from pre-K through 12th grade.
The town has a few businesses including a small grocery store, several restaurants, a gas station and convenience store, and two motels. There are also some recreational opportunities such as camping sites and hiking trails in nearby mountains and canyons. Despite its small size and remote location, Searchlight has become quite popular with tourists due to its unique desert landscape and proximity to Las Vegas. In recent years there have been several music festivals held in Searchlight that attract visitors from all over the world.
For population 25 years and over in Searchlight
- High school or higher: 77.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 19.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 10.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Searchlight CDP
- Never married: 11.5%
- Now married: 56.0%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 13.0%
- Divorced: 18.2%
7.3% Foreign born (5.2% Asia, 2.1% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Searchlight:
- WESTERN ARIZONA REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR (about 34 miles; BULLHEAD CITY, AZ)
- BOULDER CITY HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; BOULDER CITY, NV)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSP OF HENDERSON (about 38 miles; HENDERSON, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Searchlight:
- LAUGHLIN/BULLHEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 34 miles; BULLHEAD CITY, AZ; Abbreviation: IFP)
- MC CARRAN INTL (about 45 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LAS)
- NELLIS AFB (about 54 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LSV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Searchlight:
- SEARCHLIGHT (about 3 miles; SEARCHLIGHT, NV; Abbreviation: 1L3)
- KIDWELL (about 13 miles; CAL NEV ARI, NV; Abbreviation: 1L4)
- BOULDER CITY MUNI (about 33 miles; BOULDER CITY, NV; Abbreviation: 61B)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Searchlight:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-LAS VEGAS (about 32 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 15,686)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN NEVADA (about 53 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 13,686)
- MOHAVE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; KINGMAN, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,405)
- LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY (about 85 miles; LOMA LINDA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-RIVERSIDE (about 142 miles; RIVERSIDE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 12,213)
- DIXIE STATE COLLEGE OF UTAH (about 146 miles; ST GEORGE, UT; Full-time enrollment: 4,347)
- COLLEGE OF THE DESERT (about 158 miles; PALM DESERT, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,804)