Vocational Training in New Zealand

By | April 10, 2021

There has been a great increase in interest in studying in New Zealand in recent years. The friendship association between Denmark and Australia / New Zealand mediates contact with the New Zealand educational institutions. There are also good opportunities to get on language stays in New Zealand.

When New Zealand was discovered by the Dutchman Abel Tasman in 1642, the country was inhabited by Maori who had immigrated from Southeast Asia and Polynesia. In 1769 the country was declared a British colony, and in the 1820s the colonization of New Zealand began.

During the 19th century, the indigenous population was halved, partly due to violent conflicts with the colonists, and partly because they became infected with European diseases. In 1947, New Zealand gained full independence from Britain, though still with the British monarch as head of state. The country is a member of the Commonwealth.

As one of countries starting with letter L listed on COUNTRYAAH, New Zealand has a highly developed and efficient agriculture, and agricultural products are among the most important exports. New Zealand is, among other things, the world’s largest exporter of lamb. The country has many different mineral deposits, and in recent years the gold industry has developed rapidly.

New Zealand has a Consulate General in Copenhagen, where you can get advice and guidance. Read more on the Consulate General’s website

Worth knowing

Vocational training in New Zealand

Technical and vocational education begins in school and with the schools’ transition agreements with higher education institutions. Students can already take a vocational education in high school or can integrate vocational subjects into a more general program. Read more about this at the New Zealand Ministry of Education and UNESCO-IBE World Data on Education: New Zealand (pdf).

Technical and vocational education is offered at the Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics, Wananga (Maori Tertiary Education Institutions), Private Training Establishments and a number of universities. The programs usually require prior 12 years of schooling, ie access to most technical and vocational programs requires NCEA Level 2 (formerly the Sixth Form Certificate / University Entrance).

The programs are completed with a National Certificate and a National Diploma. From 2011, the qualifications have been given the designation “New Zealand” (eg New Zealand Certificate). “New Zealand” must precede the Certificate on the diploma. This reflects that the qualification is quality assured and registered in New Zealand’s qualification framework. The term “National” is being phased out. The term will only be used to refer to the secondary / high school level National Certificate of Educational Achievement. It may take some years for older qualifications to be revised and renamed “New Zealand” rather than “National” qualifications.

You can read more about the National Certificate and the National Diploma on TOPSCHOOLSINTHEUSA.


If you are thinking of taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education.

Economics and education

Tuition fees are paid for higher education in New Zealand. The amount is 10,000-35,000 New Zealand dollars (approx. 40,000-145,000 DKK) per year, depending on the university, field of study and level.

Work in New Zealand

Finding a job and getting a work permit in New Zealand can be difficult. To get a job, you usually have to be a specialist in a certain area. You must have an agreement with an employer who must be able to document that it is not possible to find applicants in New Zealand with the special qualifications required.

Unemployment in New Zealand in 2012 was 6.9%.

Job search

The New Zealand employment service Kiwicareers has a job base.
You can also get information about working in New Zealand from the EURES Advisers at the Job Centers. In addition, you can also search further on these websites:

  • SEEK
  • Job Bank
  • Careerjet

Work-and residence permit

Danish citizens can stay in New Zealand for up to 3 months without a visa. Danish students who are to study for more than 3 months must apply for a student visa before departure.

You can only get a work permit in New Zealand if you have an agreement with an employer. The employer must document to the authorities that an employment contract has been signed. If you are on a long-term training stay, you can apply for a permit to work for up to 15 hours a week.

Study in New Zealand